Author: Britt Knight PhD, Director
National JSHS Abstract Book is Available
Click below to view the 61st National JSHS Abstract Book
Summer Program at the University of New Hampshire
Two Connecticut Students Earn Top Honors at Nationals
CT-JSHS Press Release in UConn Today
You are invited to attend our 2023 Alumni Event on March 1st. Registration is required.
We would like to invite you to a special event, Exploring Career Avenues with CT JSHS Alumni, which would give you the opportunity to hear from CT JSHS alumni who have or are pursuing careers in STEM related fields!
This will be a virtual event on March 1st, at 6:30pm-7:30pm EST.
During this event, we will host a panel discussion on Zoom with our alumni, asking them questions about their educational and career journeys. You will have the chance to ask questions to our alumni during this time but will also have time to talk with them afterwards in breakout sessions on Gather.Town. During breakout sessions, you will get to have a more personal conversation with JSHS Alumni who have now entered careers in medicine, engineering, and more!
Panelist will include:
Mic Johnson- Engineering
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical and Civil Engineering
- Master of International Affairs, International Economics and Management
- Current Role: Data Scientist at BNY Mellon Technology
Paul Hansel- Physical Sciences
- Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, Minor in Economics
- Career Focus in Electrical and Systems Engineering for Autonomous and Teleoperated Earthmoving Equipment
Dr. Sam Schick– Medicine
- Bachelor of Science in Statistics
- Master of Science in Clinical Investigation
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) at West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Current Role: Research Fellow at University of Alabama at Birmingham
Isha Walawalkar- Public Health, Biomedical Science, and Medicine
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Master of Public Health
- Current Role: MD/PhD Student at UConn Health
Dr. LeRoy Robinson- Pathobiology and Translational Medicine
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences and Spanish
- Master’s Degree in Cellular and Molecular Biology
- PhD in Pathobiology and Translational Medicine
- Current Role: Senior Medical Science Liaison, Bayer Pharmaceuticals & Adjunct Professor, San Francisco State University
You will also earn event game points for participation in this event! Participants will need to register and attend this event to get 50 points. Attendance will be marked during the event. Visit here to start your Event Game Account. You will need to be registered for the Event Game by the start this event (6:30pm on March 1st) to be eligible for points.
If you are interested in this event, please use this link to register for the event!
We look forward to seeing you!
For Oral Presenters: Helpful Tips for Presenting
Virtual Presentation Workshop for CSEF and CT-JSHS Presenters
Virtual Presentation Workshop for Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair and
Connecticut Junior Science and Humanities Symposium Presenters
Saturday, February 11, 2023, 10:00 – 11:45 am via Webex/Zoom
REGISTER HERE https://forms.gle/SB3iCgGytTSwPusG8 by February 7, 2023!
(If you have trouble with the registration form, email Ellen at email@example.com.)
All CT-JSHS student presenters MUST attend this online workshop!
(Oral Competition Presenters, Poster Competition Presenters and STEM Poster Exhibitors.)
(If you have a conflict, email Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Learn valuable skills!
● Engage your audience
● Communicate clearly to scientists and non-scientists alike
● Effectively use visual aids
Work in small groups and get personal feedback!
Prepare to deliver a 1–2 minute “elevator pitch” about your research project. Number of pitch/feedback sessions may be limited due to workshop time limitation. (Look up “2-minute elevator pitch” on YouTube for examples.)
Email us, and we will be happy to answer them!
- Dr. Brittany Knight, CT Junior Science and Humanities Symposium Director (email@example.com)
- Dr. Frank LaBanca, CT Science and Engineering Fair Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Connecticut Junior Science and Humanities Symposium ● Connecticut Science Fair Association
CT-JSHS Alumni Spotlight: Orlando Romano
Pre-week Activities Coming Your Way!
If you haven’t already, check out the new schedule for the 2023 CT-JSHS competition (agenda below). This year we shorted the day of agenda and planned activities in the week(s) leading up to the competition on March 4th. Many of these activities can be done at your own pace and on your own time. So don’t forget to check the website and your email!
Play to Win! Register on the CT-JSHS Website to start earning points while completing event activities. All student participants are eligible to play and to win prizes for themselves and their school! Activities include watching virtual lab tours, recorded alumni interviews with their mentors, participating in the STEM-Exhibition, and be on the look for a sign-up for a virtual alumni-led career panel discussion. And more activities to come. So, don’t miss out on your opportunity to win prizes at 2023 CT-JSHS by completing activities for you and your school. Click here to learn about current point-earning activities.